Who We Are
The Health Ministry of the Southern Tier (HMST) provides health care services for the uninsured in Steuben, Chemung and Schuyler counties. One in eight or over 20,000 according to the 2010 census are eligible for our help. Because of limited resources we can only serve less than 10% of this population. HMST has become a federation of clinics in three counties. We are a not-for-profit, volunteer organization of medical, dental and auxiliary staff dedicated to providing health care to those who can least afford it. We celebrated our 15th Anniversary on September 29, 2012.
Whom We Serve (eligibility requirements)
We provide services free of charge to those who have:
- Residency in Steuben, Chemung or Schuyler counties.
- NO health insurance.
- Annual household incomes below 250% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
How We've Grown
- Provided 3,434 medical patient visits in 2011, and eye examinations for 65 patients.
- There were 631 dental patient visits in 2011. Additionally, 130 patients were treated in private dental offices.
- The value of prescriptions was over $813,000 in 2011 even with extensive use of $4 prescriptions.
- A new HMST Elmira Medical Center was added in 2010. It grew by 133% in 2011.
- Electronic Medical Records (Amazing Charts) has been fully integrated into the Corning, Bath and new Elmira Community Care Centers.
How You Can Get Help
You MUST have an appointment to see a health provider. Contact any of our five locations (Contact Us) for a review of your eligibility and an appointment. If you are not eligible, we can usually refer you to a local service depending on your situation.
We now accept credit card donations via this website. See our Donations page.
If you don't think you're eligible, dial 211 for help or go to www.211helpline.org